Human Potential Press welcomes personal stories of recovery and wellness with WRAP. If you’d like to share your experiences and your tools with the WRAP community through an article on this website, please use these guidelines to reach out to us and submit an article for consideration.
- Content. Articles on the WRAP website support people to develop strategies for their own wellness and live life on their own terms. They provide hope and community through true, real-life examples of recovery, health, and wellness. We love articles that share creative wellness tools, describe action plans for specific stressors or life circumstances, talk about how real people have used WRAP to overcome obstacles, and show how “we are the evidence” that WRAP works for everyone. Like WRAP itself, our articles focus on strategies that are safe, simple, and free, and use WRAP resources for additional information. If you have a WRAP story, we want to see it! Please include a short bio that states your full name, where you live, what you do (work, school/training, volunteering, passion projects, etc.), and how long you have been using WRAP. If you have a website, business, blog, etc., you can include one link in your bio.
Things that are NOT published here: Poetry, fiction, song lyrics, sales or promotional content, book reviews, medication reviews, extremely detailed stories of personal trauma, medical advice, legal advice, profanity, identifying information of other people, anything else that we determine does not support the mission or vision of WRAP.
- Style and Length. WRAP is about connection. We look mostly for articles that have a conversational tone, like the writer is talking to a friend over a cup of tea. WRAP recognizes that each person is different and your plan is specific to you, and we look for articles that acknowledge that there are choices and options—not only one right way to do things. Most articles on the WRAP website are between 600 and 800 words. Shorter pieces may be combined or expanded, and longer pieces may be broken into a series of articles. If you refer to other people’s work, please include a reference citation (author’s full name, title of original work, publication date, link if possible, etc.).
- Photos and Illustrations. Our team will identify an appropriate image or images to go with your article. If you provide images to go with your article, please make sure it is one you took personally. If there are people in a picture you provide, we must have a photo release from every person in an image to use it (we have a form for this). Please provide a headshot to go with your article; we will need a signed photo release before the article publishes, and will provide you with a form to complete and sign. The photo release form relates to the use of personal media and images used for an article or commercial endeavor by and between you and Human Potential Press/Advocates for Human Potential.
- What’s in it for You. Our editorial team will work with you to polish and finalize the text before we publish it. This will include professional editing and proofreading, and you will have the opportunity to review edits before publication. When the article is published online, we will provide the link for you to share with friends, family, and colleagues; you are free to share this link anywhere you like for as long as you like. When the article is published, we will mail you one copy of your choice of one of the following WRAP books as a thank-you for your hard work: Wellness Recovery Action Plan (Red Book); WRAP for Addictions; WRAP for Veterans, Active Service Members, and Military in Transition; Family WRAP; Youth WRAP; or WRAP Workbook.
- The Fine Print. If we accept your article submission, you will receive a contract to sign. You must be the original author and copyright holder of any article you submit. Articles submitted to WRAP should not have been published anywhere else before, and should not be published anywhere else for at least 6 months after we post it (i.e., 6 months exclusive rights) with the following notice: “This piece originally appeared on wrapandrecoverybooks.com Contents Copyright © 2018 Advocates for Human Potential, Inc. (AHP).” When you submit an article for consideration, you give us the right to publish it online, in print, and in any other media or format now or in the future (i.e., perpetual nonexclusive rights). We may promote or repost the article on our Facebook page and through other communications channels owned by Human Potential Press and AHP, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, print and electronic newsletters, other websites, and other communication channels as we see fit.
If you are comfortable with the writers’ guidelines, please email your article as a Word document (.doc or .docx) to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will get back to you as soon as possible with an acknowledgement that we received your submission and with a decision as to whether we will publish it.